Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Hi Sam!

My boo loves politics. More specifically, my boo loves America and the GOP. I too carry a torch for this country and its conservative roots and leaders, but Jordan lives for this kind of stuff. If he had his way, Fox News would be the only channel on at our house, all our future pets and children would be named after famous Republicans, (Shadow's middle name is Reagan!), and every family vacation would center around a Presidential Library or hometown. And I probably wouldn't mind any of this one bit.

With that said, I wanted to share with you all our little trip to Topeka, KS. Over the Christmas break, Jordan and I drove the hour from my grandparent's farm to tour the State Capitol. I had wanted to go inside since I had never been and I knew Jordan would be game. Since it was a couple days before Christmas there was hardly anyone around. We had just missed the last guided tour of the day so we decided to look around ourselves.

I was a little disappointed because the capitol building was going under some renovations but I still enjoyed seeing the paintings and statues commemorating different aspects of Kansas history. We walked by several offices that belonged to State Representatives and Senators, which were empty due to the holidays. And then we came upon an office were the lights were on and people were busy inside. It was the office of the governor-elect, Sam Brownback.

If I had been walking around the capitol by myself, I would have peeked inside and been on my way not wanting to interrupt anyone at work. But Jordan was with me and said "Let's go see if Sam is in!" And, of course, he was. So we chatted with his policy guy and financial man while Sam finished up a meeting. (I feel bad I don't remember their actual titles, but they were nice people.)

Sam Brownback has served in the U.S. House of Representatives and was elected in 1996 to the U.S. Senate-winning the seat that was held by Bob Dole. So it was exciting to congratulate him on his win as Governor of Kansas. We only got to visit with him for a few minutes but he was very nice and down to earth. We took a picture and he gladly gave us both high fives for being Republicans.

That's the thing about my boo. Always taking every opportunity to meet people and proudly share his love for the GOP. I actually think this is kind of cute, I just hope Gov. Brownback thought so too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you have to say?