Monday, July 30, 2012

Pintrest Project (1)

Since moving into our house this past February, Jordan and I have slowly been adding pieces to our decor.  We have done a pretty good job, but the back room/den/office/guest room/Shadow's play area had a lot of blank space on the wall and was in some desperate need for color.

Pintrest to the rescue!  I looked around for cheap ways to fill up the space without having to spend a lot of money.  And since Pintrest never disappoints, I found what I was looking for within two minutes.  However, the project would take longer, much longer, than that.  It's funny how Pintrest makes you think you will become the next Martha Stewart, and then you attempt the project and realize you are just a girl with a staple gun.

This was the end result.

You will need:
insulation board from Lowes
Staple Gun
Staples for your Staple Gun (because they don't come with the gun like you would think ;)
Fabric
Something to hang the board


The insulation boards at Lowes are 8' x 4' and come in various widths.  I chose a 1 inch width and the board was about $13.  My original idea was to split the board into 3 even panels to hang, but my utility knife had problems making clean lines while cutting.  If you had a space big enough to keep the boards whole I would recommend that.  Or find some other tool that will make a cleaner cut.

Next, I found some fabric at Hancock Fabrics on sale.  I got 2 yards of upholstery type fabric and paid maybe $10.  Then, just like a Christmas present, I wrapped the board with the fabric and stapled along the edges. Since the fabric I used was striped, I had to be very careful not to pull too hard with the fabric because the striped would start to look a bit zig-zagged.  I sure felt pretty fierce using a staple gun though.  Quite fun.
Jordan helped me hang up the board, centered above our futon.  We attached a little bracket to the back. (I'm not sure what they are called, but they have the jagged edge at the bottom.) So, here is what the back room looks like now.  (We already had the wall sconces on hand.)
Even though I didn't get my three panels like I wanted, Jordan was sweet enough to convince me that just one looked fine and got the job done.  The room does look a bit warmer now so I am pleased.



1 comment:

What do you have to say?