Thursday, August 6, 2015

First Day of School

I have seen several variations of this quote on social media, "To be a mother is watching your heart walk around outside your body."  If there were any day for that to be proven true to me, it would be today.  Shadow started Kindergarten today and I've been having a hard time dealing with it.  I'm going to put most of the blame on pregnancy hormones mixed with the fact that for the first time in 2 years, I will not be at the same school as Shadow.  He sat down at his little desk and he said he would miss me.  We talked about what a fun first day he was going to have and asked me as I was leaving, "are you going to your classroom now?" I quickly said no, that I loved him and I would pick him up later, and walked out of the classroom saving my tears for the hallway.  I think both of us were missing TFCA a little bit today. Walking out of the school crying could have been embarrassing, but my mom assured me teachers have seen these kinds of parents before on the first day of Kindergarten.

I have probably looked at the clock every 15 minutes, waiting to go pick him up and ask him questions about his day. In the meantime, all I can think about is this:
                                                                          And this...
 And this....

And these too....among others

Parents feel growing pains too, just in a different way.  We truly need to savor and be grateful for each moment spent with our children and learn to pray that God will take care of them when we are not around.  Here is a back to school prayer someone posted on line that has been a huge comfort for me today.  If you have children getting ready to start school, I know you can relate and perhaps it can be a comfort to you as well.

"Dear God, Thank you for the gift of my children.  Please watch over them as they go back to school and protect them from negative influences.  Help them be a light to others, and help them show love, care, and respect to their friends and teachers. Please protect them from bullies, but if they face one, give them courage to stand up for themselves and others. Help them to remember when they are scared or afraid, You are there with them. As much as I love my children, You love them even more, and I know You will be watching out for them. Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you have to say?