Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Springfield

Summer isn't over, but the finish line is recognizable as I start to look into August.  I love summers at home with my boys.  We've enjoyed trips to the pool, movies, Netflix, reading, sleeping in, and taking day/weekend trips when we can.

Presidential Library in Springfield, IL
Our most recent weekend adventure was a trip to Springfield, IL in June.  I have nicknamed this summer, the "Summer of Lincoln".  In May we saw his birthplace.  The following week, I was in D.C. and visited his memorial.  Then we went to Springfield to see the place he lived and served public office before he was elected president. 

I loved it so much!  We toured the only home he ever owned, went to the Lincoln Library and Presidential Museum, the Old State Capitol were Lincoln served as representative and where his body was laid for public viewing upon return to Springfield, paid our respects at his final resting place and visited a quirky antique shop on Route 66. 

Lincoln discussing the Emancipation Proclamation with his cabinet

The Lincoln's home



The tomb where Lincoln, his wife, and 3 children are laid to rest
Robert is buried in Arlington.
I was in history heaven.  I have always admired Abraham Lincoln.  His story is the ultimate example of humility, dedication, wit, and wisdom.  He was far from perfect, and he recognized that America was (and still is) far from perfect.  The phrase "created equal" motivated him to fight for the rights of all men.  I could go on and on.....

I don't want this to sound too goofy, but I felt so close to him during our visit.  To walk through his house, his place of work; I kept thinking he would actually turn up!

On our way home we stopped at an antique mall called the Pink Elephant.  It is located inside an old high school and has a cute 50's style diner attached. 

Outside the Pink Elephant
And.....I finished another book, yay!  The Goldfinch is a story of a young man, Theo, that loses his mother in an unexpected terrorist attack. He is then tossed about among neighbors and estranged family, until finally he finds a home with an antique dealre namaed Hobie.  Unfortunately, Theo has a painting from the day of the terrorist attack and keeps it hidden, as it is the closest reminder of his mother.  When Theo's secret, and the secret of The Goldfinch painting gets out, Theo's quiet life with Hobie is threatened.

I became very invested in Theo and kept wishing him peace and hope.  The books offers a story that will help us put our childhood into perspective, and allow us to root for a very imperfect underdog.

After I finished the book, I realized that Theo and Abe were similar.  They both lost their mothers unexpectedly when they were young.  They both made mistakes but had a desire to make something of themselves despite their circumstances.  And they both had a strong conviction to what is right.




No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you have to say?