Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Give Thanks?





And just like that, November is here.  Back in August the rush of school began and hasn't really stopped.  We got back into that routine fairly quickly.  September flew by with running club meets, Lincoln's 4th birthday, a couple MSU football games, and the return of Dancing with the Stars.




October started off HOT.  Like, 90 degrees hot. Ridiculous.  After a Fall Break trip to Walt Disney World, MSU Homecoming, New Covenant Fall Retreat, and Reformation Day, the temps finally cooled down to a freezing Halloween. Crazy.








But November is here.  And I am happy. If Christmas fell during November, it would easily be my favorite month of the year.  For starters, the fall weather begins to be more consistent.  Or it has in the past.  Take that with a Kentucky grain of salt.  My mother's birthday is in November.  (Mine too, and I told a few people I would be turning 34.  But....it's actually 35. Probably not the time to admit that I'm a math teacher.) Jordan and I celebrate our anniversary in November. This year is number 10!! We take a day to remember our Veterans.  And....Black Friday!

But the true love of November lies with Thanksgiving.   I like to think that I'm thankful year round, but to designate a day to celebrate it along with food covered in gravy, a variety of pies, a few days off from school, and some Christmas shopping, is just delightful. 

I was reminded of this verse from 1 Thessalonians, "Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."  It's one of those "feel good" verses.  It makes you think, yes that's a good idea!  What gave me pause the other day was the phrase "give thanks in ALL circumstances."  All circumstances? Really God? 

Did I gives thanks when I had to pay an unexpected Primary Care bill?  When I came home to a messy play room and boys that seem to think trash belongs in every place, EXCEPT the actual trash can? When Jordan mentioned he would  be late coming home because a meeting was rescheduled and went long?  What about when my students at school come unprepared and halt my lesson plans. When those pants just don't want to fit? When my hair doesn't lay right? Of course not!!! Does anybody? I don't know.

But, if we could train our mind to do so, all circumstances (good, bad, or just annoying), will cease from being things we can't control, but blessings from our Father in heaven.  God wants us to always give thanks because it directs our everyday happenings back to him.  Even when things are going well in life, it's easy to forget the One that makes it all possible.

Giving thanks in all circumstances is hard.  But this November, I'm going to be intentional about it.

So thanks God for that extra bill.  It reminds me to have wisdom with my finances.  Thanks for those messy boys and messy home, because some people aren't blessed with either.  Thank you for my husband that works hard to provide and protect us.  Thank you for my sweet students that remind me to give grace and have patience.  Thanks for those pants that don't fit.  I don't have to wonder where my next meal will come from.  Thank you for my hair, one day I probably won't have as much:)






No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you have to say?