Monday, July 26, 2010

The family begins

Growing up, I was never one of those girls that dreamed about her wedding day. I didn't sit and plan and fantasize about every detail. As I grew older and started dating and having serious relationships, I realized that I wanted a marriage more than I wanted a wedding. So, when Jordan and I were faced with the endeavour of planning a wedding in just over 3 months, all while traveling every week for work, I never felt too daunted by the task. Of course I wanted us to have wonderful day, a memorable time with family friends, and I wanted to look very pretty. But what I wanted more was the every day that would follow after we said "I Do."

Jordan and I were married on November 21st in Murray, KY. We were blessed to have all of our family and our close friends in attendance. My colors were black and white as I am always a fan of the simple, practical, and classy. I actually found my wedding dress in under 30 minuets. It was the fifth one I tried on and I was sold. Plus, it had pockets, which was a great perk since I always like to have my chap stick close by! The reception was held a block off the court square in a restored ballroom. I wanted a lot of candlelight and a chocolate fountain :). We had dinner, dessert, toasts, and Jordan and I shared our first dance as a married couple. It was a lovely night, and I always knew it would be.

We chose Cancun as our honeymoon destination. I love the beach. Again, I LOVE the beach! The resort was fabulous and all inclusive. We had a great time just laying outside, enjoying the sun and the water and the unlimited amount of pina coladas. After our first couple of days there, the bartenders would see Jordan coming up and immediately start pouring "one alcohol, one non-alcohol." Our trip to Cancun ended and we headed back to Kentucky, ready to start our life together and to enjoy the last few months of it being just "us."

Baby Shadow Reagan Smith was born March 29th. There are no words to describe the amount and intensity of emotions that followed after he arrived. I could sum them up by saying they were all some form of love, but I'm afraid that doesn't even do it justice. What a place to be in, emotionally and physically. It was wonderful and almost horrific at the same time. I remember feeling so relieved that I wasn't pregnant anymore, so happy to finally meet this tiny little person that had been growing inside of me. I was finally face to face with the human being that started to change everything for me, for Jordan, for us as couple, and still does today. The challenge had officially started. And not only the challenge of a new marriage and a new role as a wife, but the added challenge of being a new mother. Someone shared a quote with me,"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." - Elizabeth Stone

I never made the decision to have children, someone that knew me better than I knew myself made the decision for me. But that quote really hits home to what I'm trying to say. So, there you have it. The Smith family was finally complete.....for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you have to say?